Monday, January 31, 2022

Sunday Walk

Sunday afternoon was warmer and sunny (in the low 50s). After the laundry was finished, I took a walk in a different direction. Usually when I go out alone, I am drawn toward the Duomo (you can probably tell from the number of photos of it!). So I decided to head more northerly and see what is out there. (I have to say, Dan walks a lot more than I do and he has covered all this territory already.)

A few blocks away there is a lovely large park, the Piazza dell' Indipendeza, celebrating the 1859 alliance of Florence with Tuscany. It was so nice to see trees, which are sorely lacking elsewhere in the city. The other piazzas are just stone surrounded by buildings.

A woman on a bench was feeding the pigeons. They had just began to scatter when I took this.


Statue in the piazza

Lovely tree-filled view

Strange kind of trees

After I left the piazza and headed back toward our apartment, I passed an Indian restaurant (the menu looked good) and several small Asian groceries. The smell of Indian spices in a store is so nostalgic for me.

A small church dedicated to St. Barnabas was on a corner. Above the door is a Madonna by Giovanni Della Robbia. The altarpiece is by Botticelli, but is now in the Uffizi Gallery. I'll try to stop by another day to see if it is open.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.