Thursday, January 20, 2022

The Bargello Museum

Wednesday we headed out again to the Bargello (Bar-jell-oh). It is one of the major museums of Florence and concentrates mainly on sculpture. There was so much to see; this will probably need two posts.

The inner entry courtyard was spectacular. There were display areas on the ground and upper floors.


One of the sculpture galleries. Everything was light and airy.


When the Baptistry for the Duomo was being built, they held a contest for the creation of massive doors. The two bas-reliefs below were the entries of Ghiberti (who won the contest) and Brunelleshci (famous for designing the dome). Both tell the story of Abraham and Isaac.



One of the rooms had served as a chapel at one time. It included this wonderful choir lectern. The view from the opposite side was similar; the music manuscripts could have been propped up on both sides.



The altar piece triptych below is by Giovanni di Franco, 15th century.


I hope I can get my photo library working properly so I can post some of the sculpture tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.