Monday, January 24, 2022

Basilica of San Lorenzo

I've mentioned before that we are only a block away from the San Lorenzo church. We hear its bells regularly, such a nice sound. The Medici Chapels, which we visited earlier, are attached to this church but the entrances are quite separate (and the entrance fee of course).

Friday we went into the church. Earlier I posted a photo of the facade, which is unfinished brick. The crypt included this design for the front, one of several that never were completed. (Michelagno was hired to create one, but I'm not sure if this model is his or another.)

This bust is one of the Medici family.



The church was designed by Brunelleschi and is primarily gray stone, rather than the marble we've seen so much of. It is stark, but beautiful.

Altar area

Looking up to the clerestory

Brilliant painting in a side chapel

Donatello created two pulpits for this church. They are magnificent. One focuses on the Passion and one on the Resurrection. They are mounted on marble pillars. In the lower picture, you can see the head of a person to get an idea of how high they are set. You can also se a portion of a large fresco on the wall done by Bronzino. I was a bit surprised by these; they seem more like coffins than pulpits to me.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.