Friday, January 7, 2022

Epiphany

Epiphany, January 6, is an important holiday in Italy. It has felt like holiday times ever since we arrived on New Year's Day. It will be interesting to see if the tourists decrease next week when work schedules should be back to normal.

The evening before, we went over to the Mercato to pick out some pizza for our supper. They had several varieties. Dan got sausage and I got what looked like pineapple (yes, I have weird tastes). But mine turned out to be pieces of yellow potato! It was edible, but hardly what I was expecting. And, no, I don't recommend potato pizza. We took ours home and heated it up in the oven, served with fresh salad.


I found a website with lots of tourist info for Florence and it said there was a parade for the Three Kings on the afternoon of Epiphany, down by the Duomo. So after lunch we headed down. There were lots of people milling around, and a large creche set up that hadn't been there the day before. We again walked completely around the cathedral. When we got back to the front, I asked a police officer about the parade and he said it was cancelled. (Covid, I presume.) It was a little disappointing, but a good walk. And you can see that the sky was beginning to clear after several cloudy, rainy days.



In the evening we returned to the Lorenzo de Medici Restaurant where we had eaten on Sunday. Dan was eager to try the osso buco, one of his favorite dishes, and it did not disappoint. There is plenty left for supper tonight.


We ordered a side of sautéed spinach, which was very nice.


I had gnocchi in four-cheese sauce, which wasn't very pretty (more yellow than this photo), but tasted delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.