Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Leonardo da Vinci

Florence has two museums dedicated to the inventions of Leonardo da Vinci. They are both within easy walking distance, so we picked one on Monday afternoon. I spent the morning at the nearby laundromat, which had wonderfully efficient washers and dryers. I have sensitive skin, so I always travel with my own detergent that has no dyes or scents. This year, I found a type that comes in small sheets rather than powder (thanks, Lucy!). Great for traveling, and it works well.

There were dozens of contraptions built from the design notebooks of Leonardo. They were fascinating. They all had "Do Not Touch" signs on them until the last room, which had a number that could be played with. It is a great place for children to experiment. We only saw one other couple there; they had hired a guide who was explaining each item to them in some detail. Unfortunately, it wasn't in English, so didn't help us. But each item had a sign with explanations in four languages.

Drummer man

Famous airplane prototype

Parachute with sail on wall

Front of wooden tank

Back of tank showing some of the mechanisms

Walking home with the Duomo in view


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.