Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Last Day at Woodstock

Our last full day in Mussoorie was clouded by the sudden death overnight of our friend Saroj's sister (see last post). She was 90 and active until the end. Very shocking and difficult, but a peaceful end to a long life. The custom here is to go to the home of the bereaved. Close friends stayed all day; I just went for a few hours. Fortunately, the school personnel who deal with the Foreign Registration Office and other authorities were there to take care of necessary procedures.

We finished our packing (trunks to stay and suitcases to go) other than the last-minute things of this morning. Dan made egg sandwiches for supper. (I went down to see what was in the dining room, and it was mutton vindaloo and bhindi [okra] veg curry -- two of my least favorite dishes.)

This has been a good stay. I feel that I got a lot of positive work done in the office. We had lots of opportunities for socializing. And I definitely got stronger, able to walk longer distances without extreme fatigue.

We leave today (Tuesday) for Meerut to visit old friends and then Bangalore. I won't be able to post here until Saturday or Sunday, but don't give up, I'll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.