Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Tuesday Activities

On Tuesday, we settled into our current routine:  me off to Tai Chi at 10:00, Dan to a Thai lesson. In the afternoon I had another massage (Paew is going away for a week, and I definitely wanted to get another one before she left--now I have to wait a week). Dan took a big walk, as he is driving the scooter to his lesson. This morning (Wed.) he is off to pickle ball again.

On my way to Tai Chi, I noticed the fire station. Nice decor!


This is my Tai Chi teacher. His name is Raj.



On the way back, I stopped at the Tesco shop to get some yogurt for breakfast. I also stopped at this small cart to get some papaya and watermelon.


After my massage at 3:00, I went for my daily swim. Below is a view of the pool. I guessed at measuring it. A round-trip lap from end to end is about 50 feet. I am currently doing 30 laps.


The pool deck is in the direct sun all day. The pool maintenance man told me they tried to put up sun umbrellas, but there is too much wind (8th floor) and they blew away. So it's not a great place to be in the middle of the day when it is 90 degrees. There are a few potted shrubs that aren't too great, but one has these nice flowers on its mostly bare branches.


Looking due south, the same as our room, you can see two temples (gold one center right horizon, white one to the left). The gold one is the one we walked by on Saturday that had some big event going on.


To the southeast there are more high-rise buildings, definitely not approved by the UDIF.


To the east you can see the Smith Residence, our sister apartment hotel. Ours is also shades of orange.


In the early evening we headed out for dinner. We stopped at the Spoon de Best restaurant, just inside the Old City on the main road just to the east of Chiang Mai Gate. It had been recommended and was as good as promised. We decided to have a dinner of appetizers, which was filling and satisfying.

On the way, I took a picture of the street, a typical Soi, the narrow streets that wander off the main ones.


Drinks--my mocktail had pineapple, passion fruit and lemon

Chicken satay with peanut sauce and another vinegary one

Green papaya salad with a mashed potato cake

Spring rolls

Dessert -- tiny creme brûlées with a dish of ice-cream, each less than 3 inches across
We walked back through the Chaing Mai Gate area.

Fried foods, good-looking chicken, samosas

More at the same fried foods stall, spring rolls

Mangoes awaiting orders for mango and sticky rice

Spirit house along the street

Shrine in the median of the main street

Sweets (I think)

Vegetarian Turkish pizza -- you can find almost anything here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.