Thursday, April 2, 2009

Noontime Walks

One of my goals while working here is to take a walk at lunchtime and I manage it most days. I’m not much of a hiker, but I enjoy the sights along the road and I do need the exercise. So I usually eat lunch when the dining room opens at noon and then head out along Tehri Road toward Jabbarket. At first it took me about 15 minutes to reach Hanfl Center (on the old Ashton Court site), then I would turn and come back. Yesterday I noticed that I am making it several minutes more quickly, so can go a bit further. Maybe I am finally getting back a (very) little of the hill lungs and legs that I had when we lived here 30 years ago.

One of the first things I noticed was the proliferation of vehicles. In the 30 minutes I am out there, I am passed by at least a dozen motorcycles, cars, jeeps and trucks, with the occasional bus or mule thrown in. Before vehicles became so prolific, it was common to see many mules along the way, either one with a single dudhwalla, or a train of them carrying anything from milk to construction materials. Currently mules are being used to haul building materials from the road up to the new gym construction, and that is the main place to see them.

The road is paved all they way now, with yellow lines painted on both sides (no lane markings). The paved area is barely wider than one lane, so when vehicles meet, one has to pull partially off the pavement. As you get further from the school, potholes become more frequent. There is a nice railing along the outside edge all the way. I’m not sure if it would keep a truck from careening over the side, but it is a good visual reminder of where the edge is. I still remember a taxi ride from Picture Palace during the monsoon when the fog was so dense that the driver had to hold his door open to see where the edge of the road was.

Your comments and memories are very welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Verda just fowarded that you were at Woodstock and blogging. Great! I read all the Woodstock staff blogs...and will follow yours!! Bill K.

    ReplyDelete

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.