Friday, January 10, 2020

Walking to the Market

I've been getting out and doing the shopping early -- 7:30 or 8:00. It is much cooler and more pleasant walking, even with the rush-hour traffic. My back is improving, so I am trying to get out more.

Most of the streets have a sewer with concrete blocks as a cover. I prefer walking on the asphalt, but when a car comes through, I walk on the blocks. They are mostly flat. Along our street someone left a sandal tucked into the hole.


As I turn off our street onto the main thoroughfare, I pass this ancient pay phone. I'm pretty sure it is not in service any more, as is the case in most places now. (Yes, I'm old enough to know a touch-button phone isn't truly ancient; I grew up in an area without dial until I was an adult.)


I walk on the sidewalk as much as possible, but this photo shows why I sometimes end up in the street. 


An ancient stupa sits right among the shops.


When I get up to the market area, there is a pedestrian crossing. The light across shows a countdown of the seconds until the crossing light turns green. Once I get across the plaza (filled with clothing sellers in the morning) I have to take my chances getting across the street going the other direction. It narrows right there, so it is pretty easy to find a gap and the drivers are patient. I often look to see if there is another person wanting to cross so we can go together.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.