Sunday, January 12, 2020

Back to Doo Dee

If you have followed our times in Thailand, you may remember how much we enjoyed the Doo Dee restaurant, not far from where we stay. For three winters, it was one of our regular dinner places. It had an interesting and varied Thai and western menu and we watched motocross and equestrian contests on the TV. Two years ago we went once and found a completely new menu and only one previous employee that we had known. We didn't go back. On Friday we decided we would try it again. Pro basketball was on the TV, not our thing, oh well. The menu was very extensive and looked good. We each had a curry that was delicious. As we were finishing, the owner, Andrew from Australia, stopped to visit with us. He was friendly and seems to be making a good thing of the Doo Dee.

I had Massaman curry with chicken. Notice the star anise on top. It also had a stick of cinnamon and a bay leaf that I eventually fished out. Potato and onion accompanied the chicken. These curries are based in coconut milk, so slightly sweet.


Dan had the Panang curry with pork. It was very pretty and tasty, too. Both dishes came with rice, a mixture of red, brown and white.


Saturday evening we went to the Walking Market, which is quite near us. Fortunately, my back has improved enough that I could walk quite well. I will put up another post with some of the food we saw, but I have to include this picture of the leechees I found. One of my favorite fruits when we were in India, it is rare to find them in the US and it's the first time I've seen them here. Dan doesn't care for them, so I have lots to eat in the next few days! By the way, this fruit is spelled in a myriad of ways because of transliteration from the original Chinese. One web source:  

Lichi Lychee Litchi Leechee Lichee Litchi



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.