Monday, October 12, 2009

The other day we went into the bazaar after school for dinner at the Four Seasons, a nice restaurant near Picture Palace, just across from the Tavern. As I waited below the hospital for Dan, I watched a large earthmover taking dirt out of the nullah below the hospital road. Each time the loader was full, it turned around and dumped the dirt below the main Tehri Road. Several men were collecting the larger rocks into a pile, probably for use in a pushtah (retaining wall) there or somewhere else.



Several apparently itinerant families had been living on top of the rubble. One group moved their tent a little toward Mullingar Hill where they pitched it at the side of the road and resumed their daily chores.



It's unclear what the clearing was for: to get rid of the itinerants, to provide bus parking a bit off the main road, or for more shops. I guess we'll eventually know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.