Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Palazzo Pitti Part Two

As I mentioned yesterday, the Pitti Palace was enormous. And parts of it were closed. (I especially wanted to see the Museum of Costume and Fashion, which is being renovated.) There was so much art. As we moved through, the pieces gradually became more modern.

This statue is of Abel, after Cain had killed him. There was also a statue of Cain across the hall, but I didn't get its photo.


Most of the ceilings were painted, but this room had intricate wooden carvings.


This bust of Verdi said he was sitting at the piano composing.


Bronzino painted a double-sided portrait of Nano Morgante, the famed buffoon dwarf of Cosimo I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany. He is shown holding an owl, with butterflies at convenient spots.


The glass case shows both sides of the canvas; he can be seen here from the rear.


There were so many rooms! This one:  The Green Room.


Near the end, as the art became more modern, I saw this interesting triptych. It is definitely an Asian scene.


Did I mention there were many, many stairs to get to the Palatine Gallery? This view out the window made it worthwhile! The church in the center is Santo Spirito; the Arno River is to the right.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.