Saturday, February 19, 2022

Around the Duomo

The other day I took a walk and ended up completely circling the Duomo. (It does keep drawing me back.) The outside is interesting in many ways. It is covered in white, green, and pink marble.

I started at the the Giotto Bell Tower, which stands completely alone off the side of the front entrance. I've pictured the front before, so it isn't here today.


The next three photos are of the area above the doorways on the sides. Each is different with a variety of sculptures and even paintings.  The one with the Annunciation painting is the entrance door for climbing the tower. The last time we were here we didn't realize that, but thought it was the entrance to tour the cathedral. Once we got in there was no option other than to climb, so we did it. That's not happening on this visit.




A massive cleaning of the facade is going on. Here you can see the part where they are working, with the cleaned part to the left and the dirty part to the right.


In this photo you can see the clean area along the side and the dirty part surrounding the dome. I suspect this is a multi-year job. The back side of the church is especially dirty.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.