Friday, February 24, 2023

Silver Temple

The Silver Temple, or Wat Sri Suphan, is not far from us. It’s a place I’ve been meaning to explore for several years and just never got around to it. So one morning this week I set off around 8:00, while it was still cool (in the 70s F). It is a spectacular place, the main temple is completely clad in silver, inside and out. The metalwork is amazing.

A landmark nearby is this statue of a bull. It is located in a very large intersection which becomes part of the walking street market on Saturdays. We usually walk here through back streets to get to the market.


This is the view of the main temple as you enter the compound. There are many buildings, as in most temple complexes.


This is the front of the temple. Notice the signs “Man Only.” There was a woman standing in front of it praying when I arrived. It is not uncommon for these Buddhist temples to prohibit women from entering.


This picture is a little dark, but it shows the Buddha statue inside the temple.


I walked down the side of the temple; there is a pathway all the way around.


A closeup of part of the side wall showing the intricate bas-relief work.


As usual, there are other statues and structures all around. This is Ganesh, a popular Hindu god.


A Buddha statue in front of the temple.



An ancient tree on the grounds.


I am down to the last few days of this stay in Chiang Mai. I fly home on Wednesday, March 1. Thanks for following along!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.