Saturday, December 17, 2022

Day 3 in Delhi

Friday we decided to head out to the center of New Delhi, Connaught Circle. When we lived in Mussoorie in the 1970s, a trip to Delhi usually involved staying in that area. We shopped along Janpath, with lots of small shops, mainly clothing. The Metro line from our hotel goes right to Rajiv Chowk, the stop in the center of the circle. There we split up, Dan to go around the circle, me to head down Janpath toward Cottage Industries.

As we left the hotel, we saw a group of waiters obviously preparing to serve a lunch on the grounds. It seems there is something different going on there every day.


I came out of the station a little disoriented, but did find my way. As I waited to cross a street, a very nice young man helped hold back the traffic. He was a student of English and we had a lovely conversation. He told me the shops would not be open yet (it was about 11:30), but I said no matter. He left me at the end of Janpath. I walked along the many shops, about half of which were open. As I am not in a buying mood, I didn't stop anywhere. The Central Cottage Industries Emporium is always interesting, as they sell handicrafts of all types from all over India.

Beds in the furniture section 

There is a Metro stop right outside the store, so I decided to head back to the hotel. I stopped in the station and picked up a veg puff for my lunch in the room. It cost Rs. 20, about 25¢ US. I made some tea to go with it and was quite satisfied. The "snack sauce" is basically ketchup. I was glad to see that shopkeepers still make us of various papers for small bags.


Dan eventually got back and we rested in the room until supper time. I had discovered that there is a mall just on the other side of the Metro station from us, so we walked over. There were many food choices, from KFC to Barbecue Nation. We chose The Beer Cafe, as it looked good and was quieter than most. 

Dan had "dunkel" beer on tap

Chili paneer rice bowl

Paneer lababdar with tandoori roti


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.