Monday, March 2, 2020

Safely Home

I had an interesting journey home from Thailand this year. We flew via Qatar Airways, and I had a 19-hour layover in Doha on the way home. After contacting a friend regarding a hotel recommendation, I was invited to stay over with Craig and Lori. Craig's parents taught at Woodstock with us in the 1970s, but I hadn't seen Craig since he was about 9 years old. They met me at the airport just after noon on Friday and we drove to their apartment on a compound where teachers at the large international school live. We found plenty to talk about.

In the afternoon we drove out to The Pearl where we walked around and stopped at a coffee shop overlooking the marina. The weather was balmy and pleasant, in the upper 70s with a nice breeze. It was a relief after the high temperatures and pollution in Chiang Mai.


Our nephew Jon and his wife Rani also teach in Doha and live in the next building over. After a bit of rest, we met up with them and all went to an Indian restaurant for dinner.



We all had masala dosas, which were delicious -- and large!


We scheduled an Uber pickup for 5:00 Saturday morning. I had a good night's sleep in a real bed and had an easy time getting to the airport and onto the plane. The flight was long and I watched a lot of movies, with time out for a 4-hour nap. 

Dirk met me at O'Hare and we headed home. We are sorry that the bus service we have used for years to get to and from the Chicago airports has shut down. But glad I had someone to pick me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.